Monday, February 15, 2010

Featured Artist~ Agawa Canyon

Hope everyone had a wonderful Valentine's weekend. I am thrilled to bring you an interview with a very talented artisan, Mary of Agawa Canyon. I hope that you enjoy learning more about her and her beautiful creations.

What would you like people to know about you as a person?
I’m a positive person, have a great sense of humour, love the world’s wild places and won’t live long enough to explore all the things I’d like to. I’m always learning about the natural world and use my art to express that.

Tell me a bit about your art and your products? What inspires you?
I’ve been an artist ever since I was a child and have explored many different mediums from painting to stained glass to woodcarving, quilting and even making teddy bears. I’m a huge animal lover; if I ever won a lottery I’d go see great white sharks off the coast of South Africa, Orcas in BC, lynx and owls in northern Ontario…I’m constantly working out designs in my head to put subject matter into my jewellery. So far, I’m having more luck with oceans and landscapes than animals!


How do you share your creations? Where can find you?
Word of mouth; I always show my work to my friends and coworkers to get their input. I’ve only recently begun showing online. Find Agawa Canyon on Etsy or Shop Handmade

What is your most important lesson since starting your craft/ business?
You can’t allow yourself to get discouraged. You must do your market research but don’t get lost in the pricing trap. Know what your work is worth, charge a fair price and stay focused. And, don’t take offense when people offer constructive criticism; it helps you produce top quality work.


Some fun tidbits:
-Coffee, tea or hot chocolate?
Always coffee, preferably Timmys
-Your favourite candy?
Those chocolate orange balls you have to smash to eat!
-Your favourite colour?
Deep forest green
-Your favourite movie?
The Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy
-If I were to catch you grooving it would be to this song….
Full Moon from the movie Twilight

1 comment:

  1. Lovely jewelry!
    Wonderful feature!

    http://christiecottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete